Speak to an injury claims specialist

0800 121 8646 | 020 8966 1299


Public Places - Trips and Slips

We deal with all types of accidents in public places.  The most common claims involve trips or slips.

  • Often such cases involve a tripping accident due to poor maintenance and inspection by a local authority council
  • The council has a duty to maintain a good standard of repair and maintenance of public highways and footpaths, so they are not hazardous or pose a danger to the members of the public
  • You are entitled to compensation if it can be proved the highway or footpath is defective or in a general state of disrepair causing you to trip and become injured
  • If you slip and fall due to ice on the pavement or a slippery substance on the floor in a shop or place of public use, such as a restaurant, train station or leisure centre
  • This is may be due to a lack of proper cleaning and inspection or clearing away debris and spillages to prevent people from falling and becoming injured
  • There is a high duty of care owed to the public lawfully using such places

There are various health and safety laws to safeguard members of the public that aim to protect you and give you the right to claim if you have been injured.  You should not delay in making a claim as vital evidence or photographs may be needed to help prove your case.  There is also a strict 3 year time limit in which to claim.

Choosing the right solicitor for your case is an important decision.  Do not simply go to the nearest solicitor, or for example the solicitor who did your Will or conveyancing.  Use a lawyer who specialises in tripping and slipping claims.  Similarly do not feel obliged to use a law firm appointed by your home or other legal expenses insurance.  When making a personal injury claim, you should be selective about which lawyer you use and have the freedom to appoint any lawyer of your choice.  At SC Law we are experts in dealing with claims for compensation for personal injury.

If your claim is successful, the compensation you will receive is usually assessed under various categories which include:

General damages

For pain, suffering and loss of quality of life (ie if you are unable to carry out normal activities, such as sports and hobbies).

Losses and Expenses

Where appropriate we can claim for financial costs you have incurred as a result of your injury, such as loss of earnings, travelling, medication costs, rehabilitation, aids and equipment and assistance with housework or gardening. This may include future expenses where you are unable to return to work as a result of your injury, or have to return to a lesser paid job, which may include reduced benefits such as loss of pension or rehabilitation, aids and equipment and assistance with home help.


How can we help you?


Areas covered - Personal Injury, Family, Employment and Wills.

Why Choose Us

  • 100% success rate
  • Our solicitors have never lost a case at trial
  • Tailor-made service for serious injury claims
  • High success rates in complex liability claims
  • Post-settlement advice to protect your award
  • Qualified lawyer dealing with your case
  • Specialists in catastrophic injury claims, including amputations, brain and spinal injuries
  • Proven excellent negotiators who have secured substantial awards