Speak to a specialist family lawyer

0800 121 8646 | 020 8966 1299


Change of Name

You can change your name at any time provided you are over the age of 18 and do not intend to defraud or deceive another person.

There are a number of reasons why you may wish to change your name. Whether you are in a relationship, married, separated or divorced you can change your name at any time to whatever you wish to be known as.

There is no legal procedure required to change your name. However, generally you may be required to provide written evidence to show that you have changed your name, for example, when you are opening a bank account or applying for a passport.

The usual methods are:

  • Statutory declaration
  • Deed poll

Changing the name of your child

To change the name of a child requires the consent of all persons who have parental responsibility for your child. If the consent of the other parent or person who has parental responsibility has not been given then an application can be made to the court for a specific issue order.

Should you wish to change your name or your child(ren)'s name, contact Vina Lad, the head of SC Law's family department for more information or an initial consultation.


Book a consultation


We are now open on the first Saturday of every month between 9 - 12pm.
Come and see us for a free 15 minute no obligation consultation with one of our fully qualified lawyers.

Areas covered - Personal Injury, Family, Employment and Wills.

Why Choose Us

  • Specialist accredited lawyers dealing with your case
  • Tailor made service for all our clients
  • We offer competitive and fixed fee structures
  • Our solicitors offer emotional and practical advice and support throughout
  • Committed to resolving family problems in a constructive and non confrontational way
  • Proven excellent negotiators who have secured substantial awards